What is Bayesian Bodybuilding?
Bayesian: We look into the science to form the most reasonable beliefs based on the available data. This way of thinking is inspired by the statistician Thomas Bayes. We’re data-driven and evidence-based.
Bodybuilding: We help you achieve your ideal physique.
Our mission is to educate serious trainees about how to get the most out of their physique and life via our media channels (free), publications (free), online Personal Trainer certification course ($) and online coaching ($).
Meet the team
Among us we have a trilingual biochemistry doctor, an international boxing medalist, a dual exercise-nutrition MSc, a kinesiologist, a psychologist, a journalist and of course Menno.
Menno Henselmans, founder
Scientist, fitness model and online physique coach, I’m Menno Henselmans. Once a business consultant specialized in advanced statistical data analysis, I traded my company car to follow my true passion in fitness. My background in science and statistics inspired me to form the Bayesian Bodybuilding method. I help serious trainees attain their ideal physique.
- BSc magna cum laud from Utrecht University’s international honor’s college UCU.
- MSc with distinction from the University of Warwick.
- Published scientific author in Sports Medicine, the highest impact factor journal in exercise science, and peer-reviewer for the Journal of Human Kinetics.
- Featured author for T-Nation, AARR and many more publications.
Menno’s work has been translated into Dutch, Norwegian, Spanish, Polish, Turkish, Italian, Chinese, Portugese and German.
- Creator of the Bayesian Personal Training Certification Program (PT Course).
- Board member of the Institute of Nutrition and Fitness Sciences (INFS), India, and FitZonderFabels, the Netherlands.
- Advisory board member of Legion Athletics, USA.
- International public speaker for i.a. BodyPower, the Norwegian Academy for Personal Training (AFPT), Paleo f(x), Intelligent Strength and the Oxford and Cambridge Alumni Association.
- Certified Personal Trainer with the International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA).
- Experienced physique coach, including several pro card winning clients and international prize winners in physique sports and powerlifting.
- Fitness model and physique competitor.
Anastasia Zinchenko, head of research
While synthesizing fancy molecules and creating artificial cells for my PhD, I realized that lifting heavy stuff is the “magic pill” to stay cool. This is when I decided to combine my scientific background with my passion for fitness and nutrition. When you take a scientist, powerlifter, bodybuilder, coach, vegan and a rational thinker and shake it well, you get me.
- Fluent in Russian, German and English
- PhD at Cambridge
- National level powerlifter
- Dissertation at CalTech
- MSc with distinction
- Competitive Figure athlete
Richie Hedderman, associate researcher
I started Hurricane Fitness 4 years ago. Starting out as a Boxer at the age of 11 and having been involved in various other sports since I was 6 years old, winning International medals in Boxing, I began running fitness classes in 2011 and since then have gone on to work alongside World and Olympic champions, amateur and professional bodybuilders, clinical and general populations from the ages of 9 to 88 years old, male and female.
Fredrik Tonstad Vårvik, associate researcher
My interest in science and research developed more and more during my bachelors. I am currently doing my Masters degree in Exercise Physiology with resistance training as my main interest. Besides working with research and my studies, I also run the FredFitology blog.
Thomas Campidell, associate researcher
Fascinated by human beings in general, I love learning and teaching concepts that enhance our experience of life. Lifting weights and nutrition are a big part of that as well as constant self improvement. I am currently doing my MSc in Psychology and plan to work as a coach in the near future.
Stijn van Willigen, head of marketing
Since my teens I’ve been fascinated by the human body. What it’s capable of. What it can adapt to. And how to optimize its adaptation. When it comes the training and nutrition for aesthetics, performance, and health, science is an immense source of information. Great! However: it’s immense. And boring. (For most people, at least.)
A ‘healthy obsession’ with the human body turned into a Bachelor’s in Kinesiology, and what I like to do most now: giving motivated people science-based tools to be the best version of themselves. Via infographics I want to bridge the gap between dusty scientific papers and fitness reality. From science to practice.
Ozan Atalag, collaborative researcher
Ozan Atalag, PhD is an evidence-based, certified strength and conditioning specialist, a windsurfing expert and an avid Sport scientist. He is currently working with a few of the best windsurfers in the world. His expertise also covers professional table tennis, tennis and soccer as a S&C coach. He lives on the Big Island of Hawaii and he teaches classes such as Human Movement and Sports Biomechanics in the University of Hawaii at Hilo.
Interested in working with us?
For business inquiries unrelated to coaching or our PT Course, you can contact Menno via the email address below.